Community Segmented Run: Project Idea for 2016

All information about the community segmented run.
Keelshing
Site Admin

Community Segmented Run: Project Idea for 2016

Post by Keelshing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Hey guys and gals, hope you're all doing great

I had a neat idea the other day which I thought would work well for 2016 (probably beginning around spring/summer). Segmented runs in Mirror's Edge are becoming too much of a task for any one person to take on alone (or even several people). There is simply too much work, too many segments and far too many optimisations which currently might or might not work.

So here's what I propose: We start working on a community segmented run, completing the segments in order from start to finish. Each week, or every few days, I will open up a new segment for runners to work on, beginning with Prologue A and ending with Jacknife kick (probably by posting in these forums). The runner which records the best time for that segment gets their spot in the segmented run. Each time a segment is finished and chosen I will download it and gradually edit them all together. I appreciate that a segment might take much longer than a few days to grind on, so of course if you wanted to you could work on the ones you want to do well in advance of when I ask for submissions.

I understand a lot of you aren't the most motivated bunch, so if we do get segments which are sub-par or receive no entries at all then I will leave them open to be finished whenever someone feels like it, or if all other segments are done.

At the moment this is just an idea, but I believe it is currently the best and only way to efficiently create a segmented run for this game which destroys Req's time. If we start looking at this as something which WILL happen, we can begin to discuss, theorycraft and test possible strats we might have, and share them with each other. This way, when the time comes to start opening segments up, we'll have a good starting point on what strats are fastest for where.

Really hope you guys can get behind this idea,
Keel

zooK
Runner

Re: Community Segmented Run: Project Idea for 2016

Post by zooK » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Great idea, just a few points to note down,
-Some strats are ridiculous so perhaps in some segments the strat itself could be recorded by whoever gets it (a chain etc) then the movement around the strat can be added on by multiple people, that way 5 people won't be spending hours on a chain there's already a perfectly fine video for.
-To keep the run accessible for as many people as possible lower quality settings should be used I suppose? Need to know what people's recording limitations are I guess :)
-I'll add to this more as time goes on.

Kooz.
"Define your ass" - Floubz

Keelshing
Site Admin

Re: Community Segmented Run: Project Idea for 2016

Post by Keelshing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 pm

I agree Zook, some of the chains that can and should be in this run are so completely insane that if anyone gets them once then it should automatically be in the run. Also as quality options go that sounds good. Hopefully won't have to go too low, but it'd be better than bouncing the quality around like we did in MEDQ.

I'll also post a couple other points made in Discord so we have them written down somewhere solid:
- Closer to the time we'll discuss settings that everyone needs to use.
- Of course any given segment can be inter-segmented as many times as you like/feel necessary. However, I'll only be cutting the main segments together. Any segments you do to create that whole segment will have to be cut and edited together yourself.
- Req mentioned checkpoints and suggested that we greenscreen them and cut them into the run, that way people won't need to worry about recording segments in single segment. Phillo mentioned using a binding instead of this so that the menu is faded out correctly when quitting out.