Hidden Springboard list

Everything you need to know about Mirror's Edge speedrunning!
Evilagram
Runner

Hidden Springboard list

Post by Evilagram » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 am

Mirror's edge is an interestingly programmed game, a large number of the environmental features that Faith interacts with do not have any specific interaction nodes allotted to them, but instead are interpreted dynamically in the moment. One such example of this is hidden springboards, surfaces that can be springboarded off of are not specific points that the developers placed in the world, rather far as I can tell it interprets the geometry you're trying to jump off of in the moment and whether it is okay to jump off that. I don't know the precise rules behind it, but it seems to be connected to objects 1/3rd faith's height that are placed in an ascending order.

Most of the developer intended springboards have environmental nodes around them that allow them to be used from further away, the hidden springboards have to be used much more precisely from a specific angle.

Chapter 2

Checkpoint C: There are two hidden springboards on the platform after the lone sniper in the stormdrains. These are the gray boxes

Jacknife Race: near the end of the race after the second zipline there are two radiators on the ground with a pipe sticking out, by running at them directly facing the pipe, except slightly to the left, one can launch over them and over the barbed wire fence to the end of the segment.

Chapter 5

Couch: You can jump off the couch by standing on one end, and walking forward, facing in towards the other end of the couch, roughly at the arm rest.

If you know a hidden springboard, please list it, and give an explanation of how it's used and ideally a picture of the angle you need to run at it in order to trigger it.

Vadsamoht
Runner

Re: Hidden Springboard list

Post by Vadsamoht » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

I'll make some images of these in the morning to go with the description. I can also think of a few more that I'll add.

zooK
Runner

Post by zooK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 pm

http://www.twitch.tv/zubmit/c/2482571 this one. Are you looking for useful ones to list or just hidden springboards? because there's a whole bunch in the game that arent useful :p
"Define your ass" - Floubz

Evilagram
Runner

Post by Evilagram » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 pm

I want a complete listing if we can make one, because hey it's cool to learn shit about the game. I only know the ones useful in the speedrun. The ones I listed so far are not all the ones I know, I was just getting the list started.

Vadsamoht
Runner

Post by Vadsamoht » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:55 am

Ok, here are the first few images. 1 and 2 are likely developer-intended but don't turn red when you approach them so it's probably worth including them here. 3 and 4 are the ones from Ch.2 that were mentioned in the OP.

1a 1b
2a 2b
3a 3b
4a 4b

Also Blackdeschler has 8 videos of hidden springboards here, which would make a useful starting point.

Evilagram
Runner

Post by Evilagram » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:51 am

Thanks much, I'll update the OP when I have time.