All general ME tricks

Everything you need to know about Mirror's Edge speedrunning!
Evilagram
Runner

All general ME tricks

Post by Evilagram » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:32 am

There are a bunch of tricks that get used all over Mirror's Edge, I'm gonna try to explain them based on BlueSatin's original guide. I'm gonna assume you have scroll wheel mapped for jump and use. Work in progress list right now.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ATY-WTvXgK

1. Side boost

When a strafe key is held and space is pressed on the ground, instead of a jump, you will do a type of sidewards dodge move. This move makes you move really fast, then land, losing your speed. you can keep the speed from this side dodge by turning in the direction you dodged and running in that direction. Normally when you run forwards, you take like 8 seconds to accelerate up to top speed. By side boosting, you can instantly reach top velocity without spending the time accelerating. The quicker and smoother the turn and the closer to 90 degrees you turn after doing the dodge, the faster you will go. Side boosts are good for any time you have to change direction, or whenever you have no speed and need to get up to speed again.

2. Wall boost

Jumping off a wall gives a burst of speed, this speed is proportional to how far in you're looking at the wall. By looking in at a wall and rapidly pressing jump twice (most runners use scroll down for this to spam the input) it is possible to get a greater acceleration from the wall than normally possible, because during a wallrun your viewpoint is constrained and you can only look so far into the wall. Wallboosts can be used on most surfaces, including poles, thin glass walls, and rounded columns. Wallboosts should be used to gain speed on straightaways whenever possible. By jumping first, then wallboosting you can wallboost over a further distance, meaning you're moving at the accelerated speed over more ground. This variation is primarily used to move fast across the bridge in chapter 1. Be wary of wallboosting off walls when there is something jutting out from it that you may run into.

It is also possible to wallboost off the pylons supporting ziplines to go down the zipline faster. This has to be done at the edge of the pylon or it will launch you. The faster your speed prior to the wallboost, the faster your zipline speed. It is possible to go completely through jacknife on the zipline in chapter 2 if you are fast enough with the sideboost then wallboost off the pylon.

3. Balance Beam jump

Not terribly useful, if you jump exactly when you land on a balance beam, the balancing state doesn't initiate and you jump off it. Scroll exactly when you land basically. Balance beams are rare, so this trick doesn't get much mileage.

4. landing mat slide

When jumping onto a landing mat, hit Q to turn around to land on your back. Hold a direction, and you will slide instantly in that direction no matter which way it is. Not many landing mats, but saves a fair amount of time.

5. Fall Break Kick

If falling straight down it is possible to press the attack button to do a midair kick. This kick decreases faith's fall speed temporarily and if done just before hitting the ground will reduce faith's speed enough to avoid a heavy landing. This is faster than rolling and should be preferred when possible

6. Fall Height Resets/Invisible platforms

There are 3 animations which generate an invisible platform underneath faith when the animation ends with no ground underneath faith. These are the wallrun kick animation, the roll animation, and the getting hurt by barbed wire animation. When the animation ends, Faith is put into a neutral ground state for maybe 1-3 frames. This can be observed by faith suddenly jerking to a halt in the process of falling. During that 1-3 frame window, it is possible for Faith to perform any action she normally could from the ground. In addition to that, landing on the invisible platform resets faith's fall height, allowing her to fall from a much higher distance than previously, which can be used to avoid heavy landings or fall to lower areas that would normally kill faith.

For fall height resets in particular there are two versions that are most useful, rolling and kicking without performing the kick glitch. To reset a fall with a roll, you simply jump from a higher elevation and aim your roll so that you land the roll at the very edge of the platform. This way the majority of the roll animation will be performed in midair as you are falling then the invisible platform will be generated when you have already fallen a significant distance. To reset a fall with a wallrun kick, simply wallrun and kick off in the direction you wish to fall. Any point during the wallrun will extend the distance you can fall, but the survivable fall distance is maximized at the end of the wallrunning animation when you are at the lowest point on the wall.

7. wall climb turn jump extend

The wallclimb turn jump has a variability in the height that it offers. This depends on when in the animation the turnaround button is pressed and when the jump button is pressed. The ideal timing is to press turnaround as soon as possible during the wallclimb and to press jump as late as possible. For crossing over high walls, like during the boatskip, it is advisable to run at the wall with as much speed as possible, press Q as soon as the wallclimb is started, delay pressing jump as long as possible, then during the jump to hold only the strafe key that will take you over the wall, while smoothly moving the mouse so you face over the wall you are crossing, much like an air strafe in a quake or source engine game. The most critical part of this is delaying jump after pressing Q, and ideally you should be doing so on every wall climb turn jump even if you are not necessarily using the precise timing necessary for the boatskip.

8. Kick Glitches

Ovendonkey did the best guide on this, though fails to mention KG angle sufficiently if you ask me, because it's similar to how the wallrun boost works, instead sorta vaguely says you approach the wall at a wide or narrow angle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT13eN3WVyg

The gist of it is, when you do a wallrun kick (wallrun and press attack) at the end of the kick animation an invisible platform is generated underneath you. You can then jump or side jump off of this platform for more speed. This is generally performed with the mouse wheel because the window is so small. You need to basically be scrolling slightly before it happens so that you will be spamming jump when the window comes up. For those without freescroll mice, the timing is a bit more tight as continuous scrolling can't be sustained very long. The angle and distance of the kick glitch are governed by the angle faith faces when the KG is performed, similar to the wallboost. Facing further into the wall when kicking will lead to faster, straighter kick glitches, meaning that to get the fastest and straightest kick glitches they must be performed as soon into the wallrun animation as possible before the camera is forced to face outwards. KG generates a large amount of speed each time it is performed, especially if they are chained off multiple walls, making it the fastest form of movement when available.

9. bunnyhop

The bunnyhop in Mirror's Edge is very different from other games with bunnyhops. The way I had this explained to me was, at a certain point in the run cycle, jumping will cause you to gain speed and this speed can be maintained by jumping each time you land, similar to jumping across a balance beam. However jumping at a different point in the run cycle will cause speed to be lost.

10. climb-up skip

When hanging on the edge of a platform, or right below the top of a pipe or ladder, it is possible to get a different faster climbup animation or jump straight up by looking to the side and pressing jump, then looking back at the platform to move forwards. Jumping is faster than climbing. The animations for ending a ladder and pipe climbup are especially long, so it pays to always skip them.

11. hang coil jump

Some ledges are too thin to be climbed up, but you can still hang on them. It is possible to get up on these ledges by looking to the left or right, jumping and coiling to land on the thin ledge. Thin surfaces like ledges and railings can only be stood on briefly though, so Faith must jump off them immediately before her collision detection forces her off.

12. fence skips

There's a small area around faith's shins where she will be pushed upwards if touching the edge of a platform, so when walking off a platform you can fall a short distance then come back up onto it. This can be taken advantage of to skip thin fences that do not extend past the edge of a building. The motion to do this is essentially to aim a bit off from the fence, coming at the drop from a 45 degree angle. Aim with the width of Faith in mind, leaving enough space that her width could skirt around the fence. Once you walk past the fence completely, immediately turn around to walk back onto the building and the small area by faith's shins will push her up onto the platform.

13. use slide

On the PC version only, usable objects can be used during other animations, this is most frequently done with the slide/crouch animation or the jump coil animation. Performed by entering another animation then spamming use, usually with the scroll wheel. This has the side effect of the button triggering the action it normally does, but the button remains unpressed and can be activated again by the slide glitch endlessly (to humorous effect with the elevator in chapter 3). If you use a button or valve that has been slide glitched then the normal animation for using them will play out. With valve doors you will turn an invisible valve and the valve on the actual opened door will turn. This can also activate buttons and valves through walls as long as you are in the object's activation area.

14. Speed Vault

There are a number of different climb up animations possible, varying depending on whether you have speed, the height you approach at, and whether you are holding forward. The speed vault is a particular climb animation that occurs when you hit a ledge with the lower half of your body while approaching with speed at roughly the top of your jump arc and are holding forward (the exact condition may require you to be falling at the time, have some downwards velocity). When approaching a ledge from below the speedvault range, there is another slower climb animation that may trigger if W is held. So by releasing W when passing up past that animation then pressing W when you are in range for the speedvault you can get speedvaults more consistently.

The speedvault is a shorter climb animation where faith kind of puts her foot up and instantly runs from the edge without having to accelerate, similar to vaulting over a short pole. When a speedvault is performed, Faith will begin running at close to max speed from the edge, similar to vaulting over a pole.

15. Kick open doors

Not really a trick, but the fastest way to open doors is to jump at them and do the drop kick that is performed when you have speed and do an attack in the air. It's ideal to press attack just when you're about to hit the door because pressing attack too soon will cause you to miss. The normal tackle animation for opening doors reduces your speed and keeps you stuck in the animation for a while, where drop kicking the door has a lower time loss. The crouching punch can also be used to open doors more quickly than tackling.

16. Wallclimb sidejump climbup

When wall climbing it is possible to do a side jump by pressing either strafe key and jump. This jump actually increases your height overall, so if there is a wall slightly too high to climb, it can be climbed by wallclimbing, side jumping, then quickly turning the mouse back towards the wall to grab onto the edge.

17. Wallclimb side jump wall boost and wall run

From a wallclimb sidejump it is possible to enter a wallrunning animation by pointing yourself in at the wall at the correct angle. By doing a wallboost at this angle it is possible to reach heights similar to the extended wallclimb turn jump while still pressing yourself up against the wall, critical for the chapter 3 skip.

Tell me general use stuff that I missed or things I explained improperly.
Last edited by Evilagram on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Arie2929
Runner

Re: All general ME tricks

Post by Arie2929 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:47 pm

the speed vault has to do with the angle and the height of your jump to get different speed vaults, you need to get a general feel for it but it has to do with getting to the ledge at the plateau of your jump rather than letting go of W. in other words you are able to hold W the whole time
twitch.tv/arie29
youtube.com/arie2929

Evilagram
Runner

Post by Evilagram » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Mkay. That makes things more complicated. Though I've had a number of spots where I jump up and didn't get a speedvault, then jumped up tried releasing W and did get the speedvault. I believe Keelshing told me about the trick.

Blackbeltginganinja
Runner

Post by Blackbeltginganinja » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:37 am

Building off what Arie said, many of the climbing animations in this game can only be done while holding W. If you approach a wall and simply jump while holding W, you won't always get the fastest climb. This is because Faith will just do the climbing animation at a lower point in her jump since W is being held. However, if you delay pressing W until the very top of your jump, you can sometimes get a faster climb. Or, like Arie said, you can just jump earlier and hold W the whole time so you get to the wall at the top of your jump anyway. It's some complicated stuff.

Evilagram
Runner

Post by Evilagram » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Then it sounds like some testing should be conducted to find out what all the climbup animations are and what conditions they trigger under.

EDIT: I updated my description of the speedvault with something that I think is more accurate. I think your description helped me think about how the whole ledge climbup system works. I'll try elaborating on that another time.