Chapter 1 elevator skip?

Post any new strats or possible strats here!
Vadsamoht
Runner

Chapter 1 elevator skip?

Post by Vadsamoht » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:35 am

So before I begin I should state a few things:
- I've only been running glitchless so far and my PB time is pretty mediocre (1:06 RTA), so you can be assured that I'm not doing anything particularly special.
- My computer is plenty good enough to run the game, so this isn't causing it.
- I haven't done anything to the game files - not even modding the glove.

I was doing a run just now (not recorded, unfortunately) and had reasonably smooth progress through Ch.1, up until the part where you need to enter a building and three enemies appear from an elevator:
1.png
(This picture was taken afterwards just so you know where I'm talking about)

The door leading to that room and everything beyond it hadn't been loaded by the game at all, looking like a hole leading to your typical OOB scene. I tried walking through the doorway and unsurprisingly died by falling to the bottom of the map.

So, I'm thinking that I much have somehow avoided touching an object that triggers the loading of that part of the level, but I don't know what it was. If an Any% runner could somehow prevent that area from loading a get from the doorway to where the elevator normally would be (perhaps a KG off of the doorway itself?), then you might be able to save some time there, especially because the elevator ride is held up for a bit with Merc talking.

Normally I'd investigate this myself (and I'm planning to go back and see if I can stop the door from appearing), but I've no idea how to do any of the Any% stuff that we know about, let alone what to try when looking for new routes.

Requiem
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 1 elevator skip?

Post by Requiem » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:38 am

I think if you miss the big landing cushion about 30 seconds previously, you avoid a checkpoint that triggers that elevator area to load.

Arie2929
Runner

Post by Arie2929 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:19 am

yeah sometimes when you kickglitch over the landing pad you miss the checkpoint there and it doesnt load that area, its really annoying
twitch.tv/arie29
youtube.com/arie2929

Vadsamoht
Runner

Post by Vadsamoht » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:36 pm

I was messing around trying to get my recording setup working and this happened again, so I figured I'd post the full chapter run in case its useful for someone trying to figure out how to avoid this or looking for a potential skip.

The video is here and starts from the beginning of the chapter (deliberately, so that you can see exactly what I was doing), the door appears around 3:18 if you want to skip to something more relevant.

One thing to note is that I mess up one of the jumps and hit the landing pad, so that definitely isn't what triggers the loading of the section.

nulaft

Post by nulaft » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:19 pm

You definitely hit the loading trigger, it's a huge invisible box. For some reason it doesn't always load the next part.
YouTube| Twitch | Hitbox | Steam | Skype: ft.nula